Hi folks, looking for the destination to travel with your pet in the cabin and pet fees? And do you want to know what is American Airlines international and domestic pets travel policy 2020-2021? Worried about the flight journey of your pets like dog, cat, pet carrier size, cargo cost? Stuck with questions about travelling with a service dog and emotional support animal, the care taken on them during the time? Here we help you to clear all your- ifs and buts with this article.
Flying on American Airlines with pets:
American Airlines allows you to enjoy your trip with your pets by taking them with you on the flights. AA has some general guidelines and limitations when it comes to travelling with your pets.
American Airlines International flight pets in checked baggage policy:
American Airline’s pets policy allows passengers can travel with up to 2 checked pets on cargo. And also ensure they meet the minimum age and health requirements of your travel destination. Since the aircraft capacity is limited, American Airlines accept checked pets on a first-come basis. You must provide the required documents to pets in checked baggage. The carrier should have the water refilling facilities(access from outside) for the pets to drink during the voyage.
- Contact Reservations at least 48 hours prior to travel
- The maximum size of the carrier must be 40 x 27 x 30 inches
- Check-in at the ticket counter
- Allow extra check-in time (can’t check pets more than 4 hours before your flight)
- Complete a checklist with an agent
- Provide a pet health certificate
To make sure the health and safety of your pet, the health certificate you provide must be issued by a vet within:
- 10 days of your travel
- 60 days of your return (travel on the same ticket)
- 10 days of your return (travel on a separate ticket)
Here is the complete list of restrictions on the pets in checked baggage on American Airlines.
American Airline’s pets in Carry-on policy:
American Airlines accept the pets in carriers into the cabin with your hold in luggage.
- The total weight shouldn’t exceed the weight of 9 kg altogether with your pet and bags.
- The carrier size should be within 19 x 13 x 9 inches and must fit under your seat space. Also the carrier should be comfortable for the pet to stand, turn around and lie down without hitting any sides of the carrier.
Kennel guidelines for carry-on pets:
- Pets must be able to stand and sit erect, turn around normally and lie down in its natural position in their kennel (without touching any side or the top of the container)
- Non-collapsible kennels can’t exceed the under-seat dimensions of any aircraft included in your journey. Please contact reservations to verify the maximum dimensions for your journey.
- Soft-sided collapsible kennels can be slightly larger but still need to fit under the seat without having to excessively collapse the kennel. Additionally, it has to be secure, padded, made of water-repellent material and have nylon mesh ventilation on 2 or more sides.
Here is the complete list of American Airlines Kennel guidelines for carry on pets.
American Airlines doesn’t accept brachycephalic or snub-nosed dogs of any ‘mix’ as checked pets, such as:
- American Staffordshire Terrier
- Boston Terrier
- Boxer (all breeds)
- Brussels Griffon
- Bulldog (all breeds)
- Cane Corso
- Chow Chow
- Dogue De Bordeaux
- English Toy Spaniel
- Japanese Chin
- Lhasa Apso
- Mastiff (all breeds)
- Pit Bull
- Presa Canario
- Pug (all breeds)
- Shar Pei
- Shih Tzu
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier
- Tibetan Spaniel
American Airlines doesn’t accept brachycephalic cats of any ‘mix’ as checked pets, such as:
- Exotic Shorthair
Cats must be at least 8 weeks old when travelling within the U.S. and Puerto Rico.
American Airlines pets travel policy guidelines on carrying pets on flight:
- Pets cannot travel when the temperature exceeds 85 degrees Fahrenheit or less than 45 degrees Fahrenheit.
- You have to provide a health certificate from the veterinarian at least before 10 days of your flight.
- And you can also provide a special letter from the vet doctor. That your pet can withstand the temperature below 45 degrees Fahrenheit. But, however subject to restriction if it goes beyond 20 degrees.
- Carrier charges are applicable to you when travelling with a pet. As well as it varies with the carry-on and check-in and also from destinations to destinations.
- When you take your pet with you to the cabin $125 is the fee chargeable. Whereas in check-in $200 is applicable.
- Travel to/from Brazil, the charge applied is $150.
- However, too few destinations of pets cannot travel in the plane. Those places include Hawaii, Bolivia, Chile, Uruguay, Argentina, Venezuela, transatlantic destinations and etc.
- At the same time, few places allow travel of pets in planes. They are within and between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central America, Colombia and The Caribbean and so on.
Travelling with Emotional Support Animals on American Airlines:
A passenger can accompany a service dog to help themselves in the airport and also on the plane. They have to fill in special procedures and forms to take them on board. However, the service dog or any other emotional support animal needs a ticket as of an adult to travel. Or else it should be in the carrier to travel onboard. Make sure, the animal behaves well on the flight, if not the flight attendants may have to transfer the animal from the cabin to cargo.
Contact the airlines to confirm the details and other procedures to complete in advance. Arrive at the airport as early as possible. And finish your check-in procedures as it may take time with the pets. Ensure, the pet is going to find the journey comfortable to avoid any health-related issues later on your trip.
For further queries and clarification on American Airlines’ International and domestic pets policy, fee charges and restrictions, check the AA website.